Does the brand of CD-R matter?

Chat about the Sega Dreamcast and get cheat codes for it in the subforums.

cheatengine

Vgcheat Member
So I'm a noob to the whole burning games thing. I just bought a new Dreamcast a few weeks ago to replace my old broken one and decided to buy 50 blank Dynex CD-Rs so I could play some unreleased/freeware games on it. I downloaded Discjuggler and Alcohol 120% and burnt a few games.

First game I tried was Propeller Arena. My Dreamcast made horrible noises while trying to read the disc and after about 15 seconds gave up and went to the system dashboard.

Next I tried They Hunger. Same horrible noises, but this time the Dreamcast detected the disc as an audio CD with one 6-second long (empty) track. Not good, but I guess it's progress.

Then I decided to burn an audio CD and see if my Dreamcast could even read that. No dice. Straight to the dashboard again.

After that I decided to check if maybe it was the brand of CD-R that was the problem and found an old scratched-to-hell Sony CD-R mixtape under the seat of my car. Put it in my Dreamcast and sure enough it read the disc fine and was able to play the songs on it.

I think I might have just answered my own question, but is there any chance that these Dynex CD-Rs are just so low-quality that the Dreamcast can't even read them? I'm no expert on this kind of stuff, but I think the fact that I can basically see right through them probably isn't a good thing.

If it is indeed the discs I'm using that's the problem, what brands would be recommended for playing on the Dreamcast? I'd rather not spend any more money on useless CD-Rs that won't work...

Thanks.

Our free community is dedicated to US-based video gamers to provide a platform for exchange and support.
Join discussions on cheating, guides, exploits & tips, secrets, mods and so much more!
PSA: we do not support cheating for online/mobile/multiplayer games, which may include trainers,
mod menu's, Exploits, Hacks, Tools & Macros, Bots and so on. (we do allow the posting of such for offline/single player games hoewever, online and multiplayer games is where we draw the line. Phone apps/games for example typically offer a storefront to purchase ingame currency for example; whether it's singleplayer or not, in such games, the aforementioned is not allowed.)
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…