I updated my crusty old Pentium G-based server—the results are worth sharing

Forum focused on electronics and peripherals. This includes computers, phones, cameras, etc.

Cloud

Enlarge / Perhaps a dramatization of Jim Salter hearing about a Ryzen motherboard that explicitly and officially supports ECC RAM. (credit: RichVintage / Getty)

An awful lot of feedback from our Winter 2019 Server Build Guide wanted to see a Hot Rod version updated with a Ryzen, AMD's big comeback CPU line. Since then, ASRock has released a Ryzen motherboard that explicitly and officially supports ECC (Error-code correcting) RAM—the X470D4U. And on top of that, Ars reader dermott suggested I take a look at a Rosewill RSV-L4412 4u rackmount chassis.
At worst, that combination seemed tempting enough to convince me to finally update my own crusty old Pentium G-based disaster recovery server. But it turns out the results are good enough to share.

• Closed-door front view of the Summer 2019 Server Hot Rod, all buttoned up. (Sanoid sticker not included.) [credit: Jim Salter ]

Chassis​

The Rosewill RSV-L4412 looked great on paper. It's a big, sturdy 4u rackmount chassis—solid without being heavy enough to require "team lift" stickers on its shipping box. It has 12 built-in hot-swap bays for SATA or SAS drives, five pre-installed system fans (three 120mm intakes immediately behind the drive bays, and two 80mm exhausts by the power supply), and a locking cage door on the front. Unfortunately, the only way to truly know if a case is any good is to buy one and use it. So, that's what I did.

Read 14 remaining paragraphs | Comments

More...

Our free community is dedicated to US-based video gamers to provide a platform for exchange and support.
Join discussions on cheating, guides, exploits & tips, secrets, mods and so much more!
PSA: we do not support cheating for online/mobile/multiplayer games, which may include trainers,
mod menu's, Exploits, Hacks, Tools & Macros, Bots and so on. (we do allow the posting of such for offline/single player games hoewever, online and multiplayer games is where we draw the line. Phone apps/games for example typically offer a storefront to purchase ingame currency for example; whether it's singleplayer or not, in such games, the aforementioned is not allowed.)
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…