Is this an aftermarket laser?

Chat about the Sega Dreamcast and get cheat codes for it in the subforums.

cheatengine

Vgcheat Member
A few months back I picked up a DC unit at a local flea market because it was really cheap and the shell appeared to be in excellent if not like new condition. When I brought it home I took it apart to examine the internals, change the battery, clean the dust out, etc., like I always do when a new console is acquired.

When I got the GD drive apart I noticed that the laser assembly looks completely different than any other DC I have. It has a QR code on it and a piece of material to protect the connection points on the bottom. It also reads any disc I throw at it with no problem.

Can anyone verify if this as a replacement laser that was installed by a previous owner? The first pic is what the laser looks like on all my other consoles and the second is of the aforementioned laser.

Our free community is dedicated to US-based video gamers to provide a platform for exchange and support.
Join discussions on cheating, guides, exploits & tips, secrets, mods and so much more!
PSA: we do not support cheating for online/mobile/multiplayer games, which may include trainers,
mod menu's, Exploits, Hacks, Tools & Macros, Bots and so on. (we do allow the posting of such for offline/single player games hoewever, online and multiplayer games is where we draw the line. Phone apps/games for example typically offer a storefront to purchase ingame currency for example; whether it's singleplayer or not, in such games, the aforementioned is not allowed.)
Back
Top Bottom