The Sega Mega Drive Reactor Wireless Console...

Chat about the Sega Dreamcast and get cheat codes for it in the subforums.

cheatengine

Vgcheat Member
Apache Tomcat/5.5 - Error report

So... Being the hardware junkie that I am, I have a tendency to get all anxious and have high anticipations of finding some exotic diamond-in-the-rough. This is not the case - its pure coal.

If anyone has had much experience with the plug-and-play sort of consoles (basically a very small chip, av cord, one maybe two controllers, and a small collection of games, no game-input), then they are aware of the limitations of porting games to this smaller setup. The major limitation is the absence of, or deterioration of sound when emulating from the original source.

I was expecting that, as almost all plug-and-play systems have this as the major limiting step from the true source (in this example, a genesis + cartridge).

But this system also comes with a cute gimmick; wireless controls. And sadly, being 2010, they are infra-red controllers... with horrible delays in press button -> processing.

For example; playing sonic & knuckles, the music slightly slower than the tunes I've heard hundreds of times in my childhood. As for the delay, a very specific moment that many people might recognize, in the sonic & knuckles games, remember the little grab-&-loop-sling things that sonic or knuckles could run in to, and when pressing just the right moment one could release and fly off in a given direction? Yea...take maybe 50degrees off of that loop from pressing the button.

Also, the black one I linked is what I got (there is a white Japanese one with different titles). The black one is made for pal, and it does come with a pal power cord (even though the instructions flat out deny its existence...). The video cable although is rather picky when choosing to work on American televisions, and only works on my digital setup (my projector), and not on any other crt tv in my place.

There were a few reasons this system warranted enough attention for me to buy it although.

Ignoring the obvious sega game library, there is also pile of other games, notably to me, a bomberman game. Its the casual simple homebrew sort, no special levels, and nothing past "kick bomb" as a game mechanics. Again the delay in controls, and the unsure movement of the characters, made this pretty reckless.

The other reasons I got it were due to its...humor?

Look at the thing, and its remotes. Looks like a wii, doesn't it?

I think sega allowed this / licensed it / whatever, to be made...as a joke. Honestly.

In the instruction manual, there is a warning under every games info about the wrist strap and how you could throw your remotes across the room. Less than 10 games are played with the remotes pointing in the wii-mote-fashion...

From the shape of the system, the style of the remotes, and the slight humor thrown around in the instruction manual + description on the box (of how interactive the thing is, which is an obvious joke), this really is a cute toy, a trinket of minor humor...

This isn't something that will impress any friends, but I'm semi-fond of it due to this nature.

So I have two options...

I can keep it as it is, stuff it in with all my other public game consoles (this doesn't belong with my sega hardware...), and let it look pretty..

Or I can chop up the case and see if I can get my wii hardware inside of it...

Our free community is dedicated to US-based video gamers to provide a platform for exchange and support.
Join discussions on cheating, guides, exploits & tips, secrets, mods and so much more!
PSA: we do not support cheating for online/mobile/multiplayer games, which may include trainers,
mod menu's, software to modify apps etc.
Back
Top Bottom