USB4 is coming soon and will (mostly) unify USB and Thunderbolt

Forum focused on electronics and peripherals. This includes computers, phones, cameras, etc.

Cloud

USB-C_type_c-800x779.jpg
Enlarge (credit: Wikideas1)

This Tuesday, the USB Implementers Forum published the official USB4 protocol specification. If your initial reaction was "oh no, not again," don't worry—the new spec is backward-compatible with USB 2 and USB 3, and it uses the same USB Type-C connectors that modern USB 3 devices do.

Connectors and cables​

Although you'll still be able to connect old-school devices with USB Type-A or USB Type-B connectors to new USB4 laptops and hubs, you'll need to do so with dongles. The older, non-reversible connectors aren't able to support USB Power Delivery, an intelligent charging protocol that allows negotiation of faster (or slower, but less battery-draining) charge rates.
This shift to USB Type-C is one we should all be embracing. Even if you don't care about the power and data-delivery features, USB Type-C adapters are much easier to plug in. My family destroys so many Micro-USB B charging cables I've seriously considered setting up a monthly recurring delivery on Amazon—but my eight-year-old son hasn't damaged a single Type-C cable in the eight months that we've had them. The difference is enormous.

Read 11 remaining paragraphs | Comments

More...

Our free community is dedicated to US-based video gamers to provide a platform for exchange and support.
Join discussions on cheating, guides, exploits & tips, secrets, mods and so much more!
PSA: we do not support cheating for online/mobile/multiplayer games, which may include trainers,
mod menu's, Exploits, Hacks, Tools & Macros, Bots and so on. (we do allow the posting of such for offline/single player games hoewever, online and multiplayer games is where we draw the line. Phone apps/games for example typically offer a storefront to purchase ingame currency for example; whether it's singleplayer or not, in such games, the aforementioned is not allowed.)
Back
Top Bottom